Wednesday, September 30, 2020

DRESSER MAKEOVER

 Alright friends, if you follow me on Instagram you saw that I was working on refinishing my dresser set. Now, a little disclaimer before we jump right in. While I LOVE building furniture, I do not enjoy refinishing furniture. To be perfectly honest, I just don't have the patience for it. And as I've said before, my painting leaves a lot to be desired. I always want a flawless paint finish and I can never achieve it. We are our own worst critic, am I right? 


Alright, with that out of the way lets get started. ;) 



*affiliate links used. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I may receive a small commission. This will not alter the price you pay. Thank you for supporting my blog!


I decided that I had had enough of looking at this dated dresser set. I have never liked it, and I've been staring at it for over 15 years! I figured anything could look better than it does in it's current state. And boy was I right! I am so excited to share with you the after pictures. 


But first, here is some more before shots. 




The hardware! (Insert horror music)



The gold inlay! (music gets louder)




The off-white turned yellowish surface! Okay, you get the point. My apologies to anyone who likes the old vintage look, but it is just not for me. 




I started by filling in the gold inlays. That was soooo satisfying! I filled them with wood filler first. Then sanded it and filled any remaining spots with spackling. Sanded it again. Realized I needed MORE spackling. Then sanded again.


I gave the entire surface a quick sand with a rough sanding block. I didn't remove any of the finish, just roughed it up so the primer would adhere. 




I wanted to add something fun to this dresser set, so I added molding on the side. We had spare mdf from all of our cnc projects and they were the perfect size!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the painting process. It's quite difficult to take pictures while covered in paint (I am a messy painter). I did 3 or 4 coats (I lost count) of primer to make sure that it was all covered.  This primer is awesome! 

Then 2 coats of white behr alkyd paint. I should have done 3 coats, but did I mention my impatience? 




Handles installed. We got these handles from Amazon. So much cheaper than the big box stores! And they were the perfect size and style. The only down side was we had to buy different screws. The ones they came with were way too long.




And here is the after! Isn't it gorgeous!? (Aside from the crooked handle on the bottom left. That will definitely be getting fixed! I can't stop staring at it!) 




I simply love these moldings! It just adds so much character to the piece!




Here is the nightstand! I still need to add the handle to the drawer, but we ran out of screws. Another day.




Finished it off by adding new drawer liners. 




You can see here, my paint job does not look the best upon close inspection. But it is still SO MUCH better than it was before, so I'll take it!


Dresser Makeover


Here's the before and after! Now I just need to do our tall dresser and the other nightstand. That, and about 101 other projects that we have on our list. We'll see how long it takes me to finish those. :)

It's amazing what a coat of paint and new hardware can do. I hope this inspires you to tackle something new! 

I'll be back soon with our new build in a few days! 

-Monique


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share a moment with me.